Modern way of life that includes automation of the simplest activities such as brushing teeth with electric brush causes the increase of physical inactivity in humans which can badly affect their health. In the United States, physical inactivity is the second leading cause of death. Walking is a very simple activity that may be the salvation from certain medical conditions.
There is a list of the top 10 reasons why walk should be an everyday activity.
1. Walking reduces the risk of getting type 2 diabetes
2. Walking strengthens a heart in men.
3. Walking strengthens a heart in women. A walk of 2-3 hours a day reduces risk of heart attack and development of coronary disease.
4. Hiking has positive effects on brain function.
5. Walking is especially good for the bones because it increases their density.
6. Walk of 30 minutes, three to five times a week reduces symptoms of depression
7. Walking reduces the risk of breast cancer and colon cancer. Studies have shown that women who practice fast walking about two hours per day are in 18% less risk of getting breast cancer than women who are inactive. Also, people who are suffering from colon cancer, with particular program of physical exercise and increase the quality of life can reduce the mortality rate.
8. Walking improves cardiorespiratory fitness.
9. Fast walking in short intervals also improves cardiorespiratory fitness.
10. Walking improves physical function enabling the prevention of disability in old age.
Walking is available in two forms, as speed-walking and racewalking. Second technique is a sports activity which must respect certain rules. However, speed-walking does not require any special skills, just get out and walk. Both techniques have a positive impact on human health and should be applied as much as possible.
The amount of calories that are burnt by walking depends on the man's body weight and walking speed. For example, 150 pound man burns 100 calories and a 250 pound person consumes 166 calories. Walking speed will depend on the length of the legs and the size of steps. If the person is out of form in the beginning will have to walk slowly in order to speed up later. The best average walking speed is 3-4 mph. In addition to the advantages of walking in outdoors, its imitation on a running device can be with the same effect if it is set to level of 1%.
In the U.S., it is recommended two methods of exercise by walking. The first is a quick walk in short intervals several times a day for 30 minutes. For example, you can get off the bus before your destination, go to lunch instead of delivering food to your home address, park car away from where you go, use manual lawn mowers and so on. The second method involves continuous walking for 20-60 minutes, three to five times a week.