The abdominal pain refers to the pain that occurs in one of abdominal quadrants. There are upper, lower, left and right abdominal quadrants. Since the abdomen is the part of the body that houses many vital organs, it is prone to pain, which appears as a symptom of some disease or disorder that affects an organ placed in the abdomen.
Every person has experienced abdominal pain several times in life. This pain might not be serious, but there are cases when it is a warning sign of some serious health condition. The pain that appears in lower left abdominal side is caused by different factors than the pain that occurs in the lower right abdominal part. In this part of the abdomen left kidney, left ureter, left ovary in women, the sigmoid colon and the bowel are situated.
Causes of lower left abdominal pain
- Bowel obstruction is one of the causes for the appearance of pain in the lower left part of the abdomen. This condition is usually caused due to some other health conditions, such as hernia, Crohn’s disease, volvulus and an injury. Bowel obstruction, apart from pain, usually causes abdominal cramping and vomiting.
- When a person suffers from bowel cancer, one of the symptoms of this condition is the pain in the lower left side of the abdomen.
- Furthermore, constipation might also be responsible for the pain in this part of the abdomen. The people with this medical condition have rare bowel movements usually due to a diet low in fiber.
- Lower left abdominal pain might be caused by the inflammation of the colon, which is medically called diverticulitis. Pain is usually accompanied by fever, vomiting and constipation.
- The women who develop ectopic pregnancy may suffer from lower left abdominal pain as well. In ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg is not implanted in the wall of the uterus but in the fallopian tube, for example. This condition can even be life threatening and should be treated immediately.
- Moreover, lower left abdominal pain may appear due to irritable bowel syndrome. This condition is marked by the constant altering of constipation and diarrhea. In the majority of cases, it is caused due to poor diet and stress.
- Kidney stones are also responsible for the occurrence of lower left abdominal pain.
Other causes for this type of pain in the abdomen include lactose intolerance, urinary tract infection, ulcerative colitis and pyelonephritis. In women, this pain might occur because of ovarian cysts and fibroids.