Right side abdominal pain
Abdomen is a part of the body which contains many organs. This area can be divided into upper and lower quadrant and into right and left quadrant. However, the right side of the abdomen houses more vital organs than the left side, which is why the pain on the right side of the abdomen should be taken seriously.
The organs that are located in the right abdominal part are liver, gallbladder, pancreas, right kidney and right adrenal gland, as well as appendix, abdominal muscles and skin. In women, the right side of the abdomen is also the home of the right ovary and right fallopian tube. Right side abdominal pain occurs when any of these organs is affected by some disorder or disease.
Causes of abdominal pain on right side
- One of the causes for the occurrence of right side abdominal pain is appendicitis, which is the inflammation of the appendix. This condition should be treated without any delay, since it can lead to the bursting of the appendix and spreading of the infection to the other parts of the body.
- Kidney stones in the right kidney also cause sharp pain on the right side of the abdomen. Vomiting, nausea and bleeding in the genitals are some of the symptoms that accompany pain when this disorder is in the question.
- The pain in the right side of the abdomen accompanied by sore throat or cold is usually caused by mesenteric lymphadenopathy.
- In females, ectopic pregnancy may cause pain in this part of the abdomen. In ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg does not implant in the wall of the uterus but somewhere else, in the fallopian tubes usually. Other symptoms of this disorder include vaginal bleeding, shoulder tips pain, dizziness and weakness, and miscarriage within 8 and 12 days.
- Gallstones in the gallbladder or gallstones in the canals that drain it are also responsible for the occurrence of the abdominal pain on the right side. This pain tends to spread to the back, neck and right hand. Furthermore, the inflammation of the gallbladder, medically called cholecystitis, is also a cause for the appearance of the pain in this part of the abdomen.
- Hernia is the condition that might also cause pain in the abdomen on the right side if it occurs in any of the organs present in this region. Hernia is the appearance of bulge or protrusion of a structure or muscle. Apart from the pain, this disorder also cause vomiting, bloating and bowel obstruction.