Tenderness of the breasts is among the most common conditions in women. Every woman has experienced this condition many times during her life. Breast tenderness is actually a feeling of heaviness in the breasts. The tender breasts are usually painful when touched or pressed. The breast tenderness may also occur in men, although it is more frequent in women, since the women are more prone to the hormonal fluctuations. This condition is usually temporary and is not a serious health condition. However, if the breasts are constantly tender and the accompanied pain is persistent, the person who suffers from it should consult a doctor, because it can be a symptom of some underlying health condition.
Causes of breast tenderness
- The tenderness of breasts begins with the onset of puberty and stops when a woman enters menopause. Therefore, when puberty begins, the breasts start to grow due to the hormonal changes in the body. Since the size of the breasts becomes larger, the pain and tenderness in the breasts are common.
- Another cause responsible for the feeling of heaviness in the breasts in women is pregnancy. When a woman is pregnant, her breasts tend to swell and enlarge since they prepare themselves for the breastfeeding. The tenderness in the breasts also occurs due to the hormonal changes, especially due to the changes in the levels of the hormone estrogen.
- Furthermore, when a mother breastfeeds her newborn baby, her breasts may become tender since there are large number of full milk ducts in her breasts. In the case when she cannot empty her both breasts, they become heavy, enlarged and painful.
- The tender breasts are also among the main symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, but it may also occur during menstruation. It happens due to water retention in the breasts during this period. Women in menopause may also feel tenderness in their breasts since the level of estrogen is significantly reduced during this period, thus causing hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Furthermore, tenderness in the breasts may occur due to many breasts disorders or diseases. Fibrocystic breast disease is also responsible for the occurrence of this condition. Fibrocystic breast disease is a condition marked by the formation of tiny fluid-filled cysts in the breasts, which causes soreness in the breasts.
- Breast cancer also leads to the occurrence of tender and sore breasts.
- Breasts infections, such as mastitis, are also responsible for the incidence of the tender breasts.