Coughing is the natural response of the body that helps to eliminate mucus and foreign particles from the upper airway passages and lungs. Coughing is usually beneficial to health and should not be suppressed. However, if a person suffers from severe cough that affects his or her quality of sleep and causes trouble breathing, cough suppressants may be considered. There are many natural cough suppressants that can provide quick relief. Here we will list best natural cough suppressants.
Natural Cough Suppressants
- One teaspoon of honey mix with 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice. This should be consumed for 3 to 4 days, early in the morning on an empty stomach. This is an excellent natural remedy for dry cough.
- Take half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and mix it with ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger, 2 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey. This homemade syrup helps to get rid of cough in a week. Keep it in a dry and clean container. Drink 2 teaspoons of the syrup two times a day.
- Good way to suppress cough is to inhale steam. It helps to remove mucus as the warmth and moisture act by thinning it.
- Mixing a teaspoon of ginger juice with a pinch of pepper and a few drops of honey helps to relieve dry cough. The mixture should be taken two to three times a day. Improvement is expected within a couple of days.
- You can also alleviate cough with homemade cough suppressant prepared of aloe vera juice and honey mixed in the ration 2:1. Take 1-2 drops of this mixture every three hours for a few days.
- Another effective cough suppressant can be prepared of 2 to 3 balls of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of caraway seed and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Use it 3 to 4 times a day on a daily basis.
- Soak almonds in water overnight. Next morning peel them, grind into a fine paste and add sugar and butter. This mixture should be taken twice a day, in morning and evening.
If you have a productive cough, drink plenty of warm water to thin the mucus and expel it easier. Avoid caffeine and drink fresh fruit juices instead. This way you will boost your immune system and relieve cough. For those suffering from bronchitis it is recommended to suppress the cough only if it is non-productive. Apart from these homemade cough suppressants, patients with bronchitis can take over-the-counter pain killers such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen.