Abdominal distention, as it is also called, is marked by the increase in the size of the abdomen. Quite normal causes for the occurrence of the swollen abdomen are pregnancy, overeating and gaining of excess body weight. However, it may have some other underlying reasons which are more serious than the three previously mentioned ones.
Symptoms of swollen abdomen
Swollen abdomen can be accompanied by some other symptoms. One of the most common symptoms that usually goes together with the abdominal distension is the mild or severe abdominal pain. Sudden spasm or abdominal cramping, as well as feeling of fullness in the stomach even if the person only ate a small meal, is also quite likely to appear. Bloated stomach may further be accompanied by flatulence, nausea and vomiting, as well as by general feeling of discomfort and the change in the intestines’ size.
Causes of swollen abdomen
- In people who are intolerant to lactose found in milk and other dietary products but still consume them, the symptoms like swollen abdomen, diarrhea, and gas may certainly appear.
- Abdominal swelling and pain may be induced by indigestion of the hardly digested foods, such as spicy and oily foods.
- Abdominal distension in women may be a result of the developed uterine fibroids, which represent the benign growths in the uterus. Furthermore, the women may experience abdominal swelling as a consequence of the formed ovarian cysts.
- Irritable bowel syndrome, constipation and diarrhea are also the potential reasons behind the occurrence of the swollen abdomen.
- There are several medical conditions which lead to the bloated stomach and these medical conditions are anemia, hemorrhoids and celiac disease.
- Hernia is also a cause for the appearance of swollen stomach.
- Abdominal swelling may be a symptom of several types of cancer, such as ovarian, abdominal and gastrointestinal cancer, as well as of lymphoma.
- Some other, though less dangerous causes for the incidence of bloated stomach are swallowing air while eating, intestinal gases, drinking aerated beverages and pre-menstrual syndrome in women.
Treatment for swollen abdomen
As we have already seen, the swollen abdomen may be an indicator of the presence of some serious health issue and therefore, it is advisable to check it immediately when it is observed. To get rid of the swollen stomach, the underlying cause should be eliminated firsts. So, after the detection of the cause, either medical intervention is necessary for serious health problems, or the person can change poor eating habits if they are the reason for the occurrence of the swollen abdomen.