Cancer is a term that refers to a class of diseases in which a group of cells start growing uncontrollably, and then invade other, healthy tissue. They can also spread to other parts of the body (which is known as metastasis; and that type of cancer metastatic cancer).These three malignant properties of cancers distinguish them from benign tumors, which are self-limited, and do not invade or metastasize. There are more than 100 types of cancer, including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, lymphoma, etc.
Cancer is mainly caused by the DNA mutations that can occur in some cells. In the DNA there are instructions about the division and growth of the cells. If there is a mutation in the DNA, they will send the wrong instructions, thus inducing the uncontrollable cell growth, and the cell becoming cancerous.
Scientists do not actually know what brings about these changes in the DNA, but they do believe it to be the result of some of these factors:
- Family history. Some genetic mutations are inherited. If there is someone in a person’s family that has cancer, it might mean that it is an inherited condition.
- Some health problems. It has been noticed that some chronic conditions, such as ulcerative colitis, can increase the risk of cancer.
- Environment. Some substances can increase the risk of one getting cancer significantly. Cigarette smoke, asbestos, benzene, are one of the most dangerous substances, when it comes to causing cancer.
- Unhealthy habits. If a person has a sedentary lifestyle, smokes, and drinks excessively, this may lead to an increased risk of cancer.
Herbs for Fighting Cancer
Cancer has become one of the most dreadful diseases. With the simple mention of cancer, everyone gets chills. This is because everyone knows that, even if they catch it in time, there is no guarantee that they will be cured.
However, besides conventional medicine, there are various ways of helping the body fight it off. Herbs work in several ways to fight the cancer. They can boost the immune system, or work as antioxidants and fight the free radicals, etc.
Here are some herbs that might help:
- Ginger and turmeric. A recent study has shown that these two herbs stop the cancer cells from growing completely.
- Red clover flower. This plant works in a way that cleanses the body and stops the development of new blood vessels in the tumors. It should be taken in the form of a tea.
- Selenium. It works as an antioxidant and destroys free radicals. It works best combined with vitamin E.
- Barley green. It is known to prevent cancer cells, as well as fighting existing cancer cells in the body. This herb contains iron, vitamins A and C, and folic acid, which are all helpful when fighting cancer.
- Vitamin C. Some studies have shown that it is very effective as an antioxidant.