Stomach ache is among the most common ailments that the children suffer from, although in the majority of cases, pain in the stomach is not serious. However, stomach pain can be mild or chronic. Furthermore, it can be restricted to a small area or spread throughout the abdomen. The severity of the stomach pain is usually determined by accompanying symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and decreased appetite. When the stomach pain prolongs and lasts for more than three hours, it is important to take the child to the doctor since it is chronic stomach ache.
Causes of chronic stomach ache in children
- Stomach ache in children can be caused by various reasons, but one of the most common is definitely indigestion, also called tummy upset. Indigestion occurs because of the improper eating habits in children, as well as because of excessive drinking of fizzy drinks. The best home remedy for stomach ache caused by indigestion is applying the hot water bottle over the belly of the child.
- Another major cause for the incidence of pain in the stomach in children is constipation, which is marked by hard and dry stools that cause pain and difficulty while passing. The best remedy for this ailment is the consumption of foods high in fiber and the use of mild laxatives.
- Gastroenteritis is the condition caused by the bacteria or viruses, and the most common warning signs of this disorder are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, fever and vomiting.
- Chronic stomach pain in children may also be induced by worm infections. The worms usually enter the body through the contaminated foods or water. The worm infections cause pain in the stomach.
- Frequent chronic stomachache is a type of stomachache when the chronic stomachache occurs more than three times in the period of several months.
- An allergy to specific foods is also a potential cause for the incidence of chronic pain in the stomach in cases of children. Many children may be allergic to lactose in milk, or to some food preservatives.
Home remedies for chronic stomach ache in children
When a child suffers from chronic stomach ache, it is recommended to let it rest and to apply the warm water bottle on its stomach. Furthermore, the child should drink water but only in sips, and avoid eating solid foods. In order to alleviate the pain, it is advisable to ask the child to try to pass the stool.