Yeast infection occurs due to the fungus called Candida Albicans. This fungus normally lives in our body, mainly in the intestines. The normal amounts of the fungi are controlled by the immune system and by the friendly bacteria. However, when certain factors trigger overproduction of Candida, yeast infection occurs. This infection can appear in women and in men and can be oral or genital. Penile yeast infection is one of the most distressful infections that a man can contract, since it is painful and quite embarrassing in nature.
Causes of yeast infection in men
There are many causes that lead to the development of yeast infection in men.
- One of the reasons responsible for the overgrowth of Candida Albicans is weak immune system of the body, which is unable to regulate the level of the fungi in the body. The low immunity is usually caused by unhealthy diet, which is also poor in essential nutrients. Furthermore, stress, low level of the white blood cells and low stomach acidity may also make the immune system weak. As we all know, cancer and HIV/AIDS are two life-threatening conditions that weaken the immune system to a great extent.
- The good bacteria regulate candida Albicans. When one takes antibiotics as medications for a certain health condition, these antibiotics kill all the bacteria in the body (bad bacteria, as well as friendly bacteria). Thus, the balance between the fungi and good bacteria is impaired and the fungi start to multiply leading to the occurrence of yeast infection.
- The fungi use sugar as food, which is why the men who suffer from diabetes are more prone to develop a yeast infection.
- Penile yeast infection may be caused by using condoms with nonoxynol-9, because it is proven that this chemical eliminates germs but encourage the Candida overgrowth. Therefore, the condoms with this chemical should be avoided.
- In the majority of cases, men contract this condition through the unsafe sexual intercourse with a woman who suffers from it, since women are more prone to develop a yeast infection. It is very important that both partners are completely cured from yeast infection before they again indulge themselves in a sexual relation. Otherwise, the yeast infection only passes from one partner to the other. For this reason and for many other reasons, safe and protected sex is one of the best ways to protect ourselves from genital yeast infection, as well as from many other sexually transmitted diseases.