Lavender got its name from the Latin word ‘lavare’, meaning ‘to wash’, presumably because of its aroma which leaves the feeling of cleanliness. Lavender essential oil is used to alleviate pain, improve poor blood circulation, treat the respiratory tract problems, relieves nervousness and tension and as a scalp and skin disinfectant. Lavender essential oil is obtained from fragrant flowers of the lavender plant by way of steam distillation. Its flowers are also a popular ingredient of potpourris and perfumes, while the oil is very much valued in aromatherapy for making different scented mixtures as well as soaps, gels, lotions, infusions and aromatherapy oils. Geranium, cedar wood, nutmeg, pine and clary sage are some of the essential oils that go particularly well with the lavender oil.Lavender essential oil has many health benefits, such as the following:
- The soothing and refreshing aroma of lavender essential oil helps in boosting mental activity, relieving stress, nervous tension, headaches, anxiety and depression. Furthermore, it is often used as a remedy for insomnia, since it helps one to fall asleep.
- When it comes to pain relief, lavender essential oil is indispensable in alleviating pains in relation to rheumatism, backache, lumbago and sprains, as well as muscular tension and aches and soreness of muscles. For those suffering from the pain in the joints, regular massage with lavender oil is highly recommended.
- Lavender essential oil is also beneficial to the urinary tract since it stimulates urine production and restores hormonal balance. It helps in soothing inflamed urinary bladder and the accompanying cramps.
- Respiratory problems such as cold, sinus congestion, throat infections, tonsillitis, asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough can be treated with the lavender oil. It is often an ingredient of vaporizers and inhalers used to treat cold and coughs, or it can be rubbed on the neck, chest and back with the same effect.
- Thanks to its antifungal and antiseptic characteristics, lavender oil is also used for treating skin conditions including acne, wrinkles and psoriasis. It also helps regenerate scar tissue so it is used to heal cuts, wounds, burns and sunburns. When mixed with chamomile, it is used for the treatment of eczema.
- Poor blood circulation is enhanced and high blood pressure lowered by using lavender essential oil.
- Lavender oil also helps digestion since it stimulates intestine movement and the production of gastric juices and bile, so it is beneficial in the treatment of stomach pain, indigestion, colic, vomiting and diarrhea.
- If used regularly, lavender essential oil can help to boost the immune system.
- Apart from this, lavender oil can be used to treat leucorrhea. Since it repels insects such as moths and mosquitoes, it can be found in insect repellents.
Diabetics as well as pregnant and breastfeeding women are advised not to use the lavender oil since it can cause nausea, vomiting and headaches. Persons with sensitive skin may experience allergic reactions to the lavender essential oil.