Poison that is used in extermination of the rats can be accidentally swollen by pets or even humans. People should react quickly in case they recognize any of the potential symptoms or if they assume that rat poisoning has occurred. The prompt reaction can save lives especially if larger doses of the poison have been ingested.
Symptoms of Rat Poisoning in Humans
The first symptoms of rat poisoning are dizziness and tiredness. Apart from that, since rat poison leads to problems with coagulation one may experience nosebleeds, bleeding of gums and in severe cases blood can even occur in the stool or urine. In some patients bloody diarrhea has been reported. Extensive bruising is caused by bleeding from the skin capillaries. One may complain about the loss of hair. And finally, patients may have difficulties with breathing and in most severe cases the poisoned person may die. The death outcome is caused either by heart complications or by uncontrollable bleeding.
The very poisoning causes prolonged weakness and the recovery depends on the severity of poisoning.
Rat Poisoning in Pets
Even pets can ingest the rat poison. The owner can notice certain changes in pet's behaviors and he/ she must take the poisoned animal to the vet as soon as possible. The symptoms of the poisoning may be different in cats and in dogs. The dogs most commonly ingest the very poison while cats can be poisoned after eating the poisoned rat.
Symptoms of Rat Poisoning in Dogs
If a dog has ingested the poison it will develop increased body temperature. Furthermore, muscle may be either weak or the tremor occurs. This influences the walk and the posture of the dog. The poisoned dog can also have difficulties with breathing or other respiratory problems such as mild coughing. It may vomit or develop diarrhea. The bleeding affects gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract and the skin. The dog may even experience nosebleeds, bleeding from the gums or into the lungs. The poisoned animal loses appetite, the drooling is increased and in some cases the blood may be noticeable in saliva. Extreme tiredness can also lead to coma and sometimes the poisoned dog dies.
Symptoms of Rat Poisoning in Cats
The symptoms in cats occur due to ingestion of a poisoned rat. The symptoms may include permanent and loud crying, prolong vomiting and excessive production of saliva. In extreme cases even seizures may occur.
Only the timely reaction can save animals from the lethal outcome. The veterinarian will administer vitamin K. This vitamin will take care of bleeding. In some cases the animal is given plasma transfusions and intravenous fluids.