Depression can be defined as a mood disorder marked by negative thoughts and feelings, such as sadness and a sense of despair and hopelessness. Unfortunately, this mood disorder affects an increasing number of people every year and is a common current condition. Since the demands of this age are too high, many people unable to fulfill some of them tend to become desperate and frustrated, and they usually develop the feelings of unworthiness.
Depression can be of different types and some of them are major depression, atypical depression and seasonal affective depression. Furthermore, there are also postpartum depression and dysthymia.
Herbal remedies for depression
Although there are several medical treatments and certain therapies for treating depression, many people opt for natural remedies for this condition, since the natural remedies usually do not have any side effect.
- One of the most used herbs for treating this mood disorder is the herb called St John’s Wort, since it is a potent antidepressant. The people who suffer from moderate depression should use this herb, which can be consumed for a long time almost without any side effect.
- S-adenosylmethionine, abbreviated SAMe, is an amino acid which is also widely used for the treatment of the depression symptoms. It is proven that the people who suffer from this mood disorder do not have enough amounts of certain chemicals in their brain, and because of that SAMe is used since it elevates the amounts of these chemicals in the brain.
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan or 5-HTP is another amino acid, which increases the levels of the serotonin in the brain, thus preventing the depression symptoms.
- Ginkgo Biloba is an herb which is considered to be a powerful antioxidant and antidepressant, and thus it is used in treating depression, especially in the people who have problems with normal blood stream to the brain.
- Siberian Ginseng is an herb that brings certain neurotransmitters in the brain in a balance, thus enabling the brain to function normally and manage stress. It is also believed that this herb boosts the body’s immune system and improves the abstract thinking as well.
- Furthermore, Oat Straw is also used as a treatment option for depression since it supports the proper functioning of the nervous system.
- Stress and fatigue that can cause depression can be successfully managed with an herb called Basil.
Other herbs known to help those who suffer from depression are clove, ginger, passion flower and valerian root.