Couldn't find what you looking for?


Everyone dreads of being bitten by a snake, eve a non-poisonous one. However, these incidents happen, especially in the jungles, beaches or some other remote places. A person bitten by a snake is going to be very scared, and if you are near, the first thing you should do is calm him or her down. These situations can be life threatening, and your actions can save someone’s life, if you act quickly and know what to do.

Identifying the snake can be rather tricky, because if you move too close, you can get bitten, too, and you wouldn’t want that. So, look at the snake and try to remember what it looks like, without getting too close. Everything you remember about the snake can be useful for the doctor who’s going to treat the snake bite. Every non-poisonous snake will leave a bite mark similar to a horseshoe. Be prepared that the bitten spot may change color and become blue or black. There can also be some swelling of the tissue and the person bitten by a non-poisonous snake can experience nausea, as well. As for the poisonous snake, their bite marks are two-pointed.

Non-Poisonous Snake Bite

If you are nearby a person bitten by a non-poisonous snake, call for immediate medical help. While you are waiting for the help to arrive, there are several things you can do, to help the bitten person. First of all, assure him that everything is going to be all right. If you have seen the bite mark and know that’s the non-poisonous snake, tell him that. It is very important to calm the bitten person, since he will definitely be very upset and scared.

Poisonous Snake Bites

Before even thinking about doing something in this case – call for urgent medical assistance. Then assess the situation and help the bitten person. Try to calm the victim down, by saying that venom is not always poisonous, and that everything will be ok, and that the ambulance is on the way. Observe the victim and his reactions carefully, for it may be useful for the doctor in the hospital later.

Remove any jewelry and clothes around the bite and try to immobilize the spot without any pressure. The bitten spot should be moved as little as possible, and that part should be placed lower than the rest of the body, to prevent spreading of the venom. Wash the affected spot with water and soap and tie a firm, but not extremely tight band some two inches from the wound.

Never suck the venom from the wound and never cut it, because these actions won’t be helpful for the patient. Ice on the bitten spot also won’t do anything, so don’t apply it. The patient should not drink hot beverages or alcohol when bitten by a snake.

Get the victim to the nearest hospital as quick as you can, and inform the doctor about the snake, wound and condition of the patient, since this information will be very helpful for the treatment decisions.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest