Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

Copperhead snake bite requires prompt medical treatment, because its venom is toxic and causes extreme pain. Although copperhead snake bite is rarely fatal, it may be life threatening to pets. Copperhead Snake OverviewCopperhead snakes are native to eastern part of the United States. They are pit vipers, which mean they locate their prey by using two heat sensing pits positioned between their eyes and nostrils. Body of a copperhead snake can vary from bright copper to dark brown with dark colored bands across the back and sides. Tip of the tail is usually yellow or greenish. Adult copperhead snakes can reach 2-4 feet. Copperhead snakes occupy a variety of habitats, but they are mostly found in deciduous forests and woody areas. They also prefer to live among rocks, near ponds or streams, outcroppings and rock ledges. Copperhead snakes thrive on small rodents, birds, lizards, frogs, spiders and other snakes. They usually do not bite unless a person gets very close to them or steps on them. They use their bite as a last defense. The bite of a copperhead snake is extremely painful but with proper treatment the pain can be relieved.

Copperhead Snake Bite

Only about 38% of copperhead snake bites in the United States, get reported. The bite from copperheads is the most common snake bite in the eastern US since these snakes are frequently found near human habitats. Small copperhead snakes can be seen anywhere from gardens, flower beds, cars, porches and even in houses. Copperhead snakes are one of the least venomous snakes in the US but even the smallest copperhead is capable of inflicting a painful bite.

Symptoms of Copperhead Snake BiteCopperhead snake bite can cause intense pain, inflammation, skin infection, abnormally low blood pressure, severe nausea and vomiting. Throbbing of heart and increased pulse rate are also present. There is a general pain in all limbs. Lack of blood clotting too results from copperhead snake bite. Severe damage to body muscles and bone tissues can occur if the bite is on the hands or feet because these areas do not have enough muscle mass to absorb the venom.

Treatment for Copperhead Snake Bite

Copperhead snake bite is very seldom fatal in humans, but in animals, immediate treatment for the bite is necessary since it may severely affect the animal’s health. If you get bitten by a copperhead snake, immobilize the bitten area to reduce the blood supply to the area. Stay calm because that way the venom will not spread through the body. Do not apply ice on the site and do not suck the venom out. If your pet receives copperhead snake bite, take it to the veterinarian immediately.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest
Captcha