Hypothyroidism is a condition when thyroid gland does not produce enough of its hormones, which are very important for the proper functioning of the whole body. It is also called low thyroid, or underactive thyroid.
Nutritional and dietary supplements
If one chooses to take nutritional and dietary supplements to treat and improve the functioning of thyroid gland, he/she must know that nutritional and dietary supplements do not have thyroid hormones in them. The nutritional and dietary supplements are completely made of plant and animal sources, which are healthy. Since, these plant and animal sources do not contain thyroid hormones which are necessary, it is important to use plant and animal sources along with certain medications that supply the body with thyroid hormones.
Furthermore, a doctor must always be informed about everything that one takes to treat thyroid gland, because sometimes, certain supplements can interact with other medicines and cause side effects or complications. For thyroid support, a multivitamin with essential minerals must be taken every day. In addition to a good multivitamin, certain vitamins and minerals must be taken in through the foods in order to encourage the function of thyroid gland.
- Iodine is a supplement that the thyroid hormones are made of. T3 and T4 are the two thyroid hormones that contain much Iodine. Except from Iodine, these hormones contain tyrosine, which is a vital amino acid. It is important to know that only proper amount of Iodine is good, since otherwise, high levels of Iodine may lead to hyperthyroidism and overproduction of thyroid hormones. The foods rich in Iodine are seafood, salt and fast food.
- L-tyrosine is also very effective for the proper functioning of thyroid gland.
- Zinc is vital mineral for the overall health of the body and for the immune health. It has the effect on hypothalamus, which releases the signals to the pituitary gland and then to the thyroid gland to produce more hormone.
- For the optimal functioning of the thyroid gland, Selenium is also very effective. It stimulates and regulates the production of thyroid two hormones. Furthermore, Selenium is very good for toxin removal.
- Vitamin D is also a powerful supplement for thyroid function, as well as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants. Therefore, the foods rich in these supplements must be consumed every day.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which can be found mostly in fish and oils, should also be included in the diet. These fatty acids are very effective in reducing depression, which is the most frequent symptoms of underactive thyroid.