Impotence – erectile dysfunction
The topic the men usually avoid taking about is importance, also called erectile dysfunction. Sexual functionality is very important for men since it somehow defines their gender and, therefore, millions of men worldwide do not feel comfortable to talk about their problem to either achieve or maintain erection during a sexual intercourse. They feel less as a man when they face this problem, which leads to many psychological problems like low self-esteem and low self-confidence. Fortunately for them, this disorder can be successfully treated and those who face this problem can have normal sexual life.
Types of impotence
There are about 6 types of erectile dysfunction and the classification is done according to the underlying cause. Each type of impotence is caused by different groups of factors and therefore, each type of erectile dysfunction is treated using different methods.
- Arteriogenic impotence is erectile dysfunction which happens when the arteries that bring the blood to the penis are narrowed due to certain reasons, so the penis cannot get sufficient blood necessary for a full erection. The elderly people with hypertension and diabetes, as well as the bicycle riders, are most prone to development of this type of impotence.
- Endocrinologic impotence is another type of the erectile dysfunction induced by the deficiency or imbalance of the testosterone and estrogen in the blood, which can also be caused by various reasons. It is estimated that from 5 to 10% of the men with impotence has exactly this type of erectile dysfunction.
- The third type of erectile dysfunction is the impotence from diabetes mellitus since even 50% of the male diabetic patients are impotent. To cure this type of importance the men should regulate diabetes by changing the lifestyle and eating habits, as well as the diet.
- Neurogenic impotence is caused by the damage to the nerves of the spinal cord and vertebral column, or the nerves present in some other organs in the body, which are connected to the nerves in the penis, as well as by the damage of the nerves in the penis itself.
- Psychological reasons like depression and stress are lying behind psychological impotence. The men with this type of impotence do not have any physical problem related to the erectile dysfunction.
- In healthy men, the veins tend to lock down during an erection so that the blood cannot go out of the penis, but this does not occur in the men who suffer from venogenic impotence. Venogenic impotence occurs when the veins leak blood, thus disabling the men to keep the erection.