Bacterial vaginosis is a condition marked by the inflammation of the vagina due to the overgrowth of the certain bacteria that are normally present there. Although the main cause for this condition is not discovered yet, there are certain risk factors, such as unsafe sexual intercourse and frequent vaginal douching.
Symptoms of bacterial vaginosis
Bacterial vaginosis has its characteristic symptoms. The most common warning sign of this condition is thin vaginal discharge, which is grayish white in color. Furthermore, a woman with bacterial vaginosis may experience painful sexual intercourse and foul smelling vaginal odor after having sex. Other symptoms of this condition include vaginal itching and irritation, as well as burning sensation while urinating. Sometimes, a woman with bacterial vaginosis may have vaginal bleeding.
Home remedies for bacterial vaginosis
There are certain home remedies that can successfully cure bacterial vaginosis. These home remedies are very effective and they can prevent bacterial vaginosis from recurring.
- One of the powerful home remedies is yogurt. The woman with bacterial vaginosis should drink several cups of yogurt each day as long as the condition lasts. Furthermore, she can soak a tampon with yogurt and insert it into the vagina. This should be repeated several times a day. Yogurt is an effective remedy for this condition because it contains friendly bacteria that eliminate the bad bacteria, which cause bacterial vaginosis. It is very important to use just the plain sugar free yogurt full of active cultures.
- Another effective remedy for this condition is apple cider vinegar because it eliminates the toxins that have probably caused bacterial vaginosis. The woman with this vaginal disorder should put one or two cups of apple cider vinegar into a bath and soak in it for at least 20 minutes.
- Tea tree oil is also very powerful remedy because it has antibacterial features. This oil should be added to our bath or the vaginal area should be slightly rubbed with it. Furthermore, douching should be avoided because it can only aggravate the condition.
- One of the helpful home remedies is folic acid and it can be easily obtained in every local pharmacy. It is very effective and can prevent bacterial vaginosis from coming back.
- It is important to keep the vagina clean by frequent washing only with water in order to clear the excessive fluids that cause the unpleasant vaginal odor. The underwear should be made only of cotton in order to allow the vagina to breathe.