Tamarind tree and tamarind fruit
The Tamarind tree originates from Africa and India and this plant is widely used for treating many medical conditions, also for maintaining one's overall health. Not only are the fruits of this tree used, but also the leaves and flowers, the root and the trunk. Each of these parts when properly utilized, has several health benefits.
Tamarind fruit is about 5 centimeters long. It has a hard and brown body, which houses the pulp inside. This pulp, has sweet and sour taste, and can eaten when it gets to be a reddish brown color. This fruit is used for many medical purposes since its nutritional value is high. Tamarind fruit is rich in vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium; it also contains dietary fiber, vitamin E and phosphorus. Tamarind fruit is low in calories and carbohydrates.
Health benefits of tamarind fruit
- There are several digestive problems that can be successfully treated with this fruit. For example, people who suffer from constipation and dysentery should consume this fruit.
- For the people who have troubles with appetite or bile disorders, tamarind fruit is a good solution to cure these problems.
- As we have already said, this fruit is high in vitamin C and therefore, it is very good for treating vitamin C deficiency, fevers and common colds.
- It is found that tamarind fruit is rich in antioxidants which are very important for fighting against the free radicals. As we all know, free radicals can cause cancer development and therefore, tamarind fruit should be consumed in order to provide a natural defense against any kind of cancers.
- There are several researches that proved that this fruit is very good for lowering the blood sugar levels and lowering the levels of cholesterol, which means that many diseases of the cardiovascular system can be prevented by consumption of this fruit.
- It is also proven that tamarind fruit can effectively cure sore throat. It is recommended to boil it in the water and to rinse the mouth and throat with it. It should be done several times a day even after the sore throat is cured completely.
- Apart from very good taste, tamarind fruit has high nutritional value and thus should be included in the everyday diet.