Many people and especially the ones who play the sports experience the knee pain, which can often be accompanied by swelling. There are various treatments for the knee pain such as using creams, painkillers or physical therapies. However, in some severe cases, the surgery needs to be performed. There are several types of surgeries and we are going to list them in this article.
List of Knee Surgeries
- Meniscectomy is a surgery that can be performed on the torn meniscus to reduce the pain and the swelling of that area. The surgery includes the removal of the part of the meniscus cartilage from the joint of the knee. The meniscus is very important for a proper work of the knee since it absorbs the shock movements of the knee.
- Another type of surgery is the procedure of the meniscus repair. In case the meniscus is damaged, it needs to be repaired, but it is not always possible to perform the surgery because of the blood supply.
- In case you experience some sort of dislocation of the kneecap from its place, you may find it difficult to move your knee properly. This dislocation happens because of the ligaments that pull the kneecap to the outside, which causes a great pain in the knee. If this happens, you may need to take the surgery called lateral release, which will loosen the specific ligaments and provide you with less pain.
- One more type of knee surgery is called plica excision. Plica is the remnant tissue of the improper development of the knee compartments. Irritation of the plica is called plica syndrome and the surgery includes the removal of the tissue.
- In case you have had your meniscus removed, you will need a meniscus from a donor patient. This procedure is called meniscus transplantation and it is not performed on the patients who have the acute meniscus tear. The patients usually feel a severe pain in the knee area before this surgery is done.
- Many people who injure the anterior cruciate ligament (also called ACL) need to have a surgery called ACL reconstruction. Patients who suffer from ACL may not be able to stand up straight due to the sharp knee pain.
- In case you injure the quadriceps tendon and patellar tendon, you may not be able to straighten or bend your knee properly. There is a surgical procedure that includes the repair of the quadriceps tendons and patellar tendons.
- There are some people who need to replace just the parts of the cartilage joints on the knee, and this usually occurs in the case of knee arthritis.
- There is one more type of surgery for the knee pain and it is called knee replacement surgery. It includes the parts of the tibia and femur bones being removed. The knee joints are replaced with the plastic or metal knee replacement implants.