Couldn't find what you looking for?


A vasectomy is among the least invasive permanent birth control options for couples. If you have decided that it is time to get "the snip", you may be curious about which healthcare professionals can carry out the procedure, how long it lasts, and more. Vasectomies can actually be carried out by a variety of doctors. Let's have a look at the details.

Vasectomies are carried out by different medical professionals depending on the country you live in. Most commonly, a vasectomy is performed by a surgeon specializing in urology. You may need a referral from a family practice doctor, or you may be able to access the doctor who will carry out the procedure directly. In some countries, family practice doctors may even carry out the vasectomy procedure! If your doctor is a urologist, as is very likely to be the case, the vasectomy can be carried out at a hospital or a private clinic.

Although there are various methods to complete a vasectomy, all of them involve severing the vas deferens, which are the tubes that carry sperm from the testicles to the penis. The procedure is usually carried out with the help of local anesthesia, and it only takes around quarter of an hour. Before you decide on a particular doctor to carry out your vasectomy, it is a good idea to ask many questions about the vasectomy procedure, your chosen doctor's experience (how many vasectomies they have carried out), and whether they ever encountered any complications during a vasectomy they performed.

We advise you to be comfortable with your doctor before choosing them. Other factors in choosing your doctor are insurance coverage, distance, and the method of vasectomy they can use. Private clinics may require especially careful consideration, particularly when the clinic is "low cost". You may like to read about treatment for post-vasectomy pain syndrome as well.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest