Couldn't find what you looking for?


Chemical burns that occur at home are usually a result of some accident and misuse of products that are intended for nail, skin and hair care. However, they can also happen in plants and businesses in which people work with chemicals. The only way in which these accidents can be prevented refers to education of people who work with them and providing necessary information regarding the toxicity and risks associated with a particularly chemical. Even when working with these dangerous chemicals at home, it is necessary to be careful and to read the labels on the products. Once the accident happens, it is important to react timely, because in that way unnecessary damage to the skin can be prevented.

How to treat chemical burns?

In general, only severe cases of chemical burns require immediate medical attention and sometimes need to be hospitalized. The majority of accidents cause burns that are less severe in nature, first-degree burns. Still, when such an accident happens, it is important to make sure that the person is away from the area of accident and the chemical that caused the burns, and then the chemical should be rinsed off from the skin with cool water. Here it is necessary to make sure that the water is not ice cold, and that the burned area is kept under the running water for at least 20 minutes. If a person feels more intensive burning a bit later, it is recommended to wash the area off again. In case the chemical reached some jewelry or clothing, the same should be removed as soon as possible. After rinsing, a clean piece of cloth or sterile dressing should be wrapped around the affected area and if necessary, some kind of pain reliever should be taken in order to keep the pain under control.

Cases that require immediate medical help

Second-degree burns that cover more than 3 inches of the skin are definitely an emergency case.When the eye, face, groin, buttocks, hands or feet are the area that is affected by the chemical burn, medical assistance is also necessary.If pain relievers are not helpful enough and the person in question cannot deal with the pain due to the chemical burn, the doctor should be visited as soon as possible.If a person experiences fainting, shallow breathing or other signs of shock, it is necessary to get emergency medical assistance.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest