Couldn't find what you looking for?


Vitamin C Toxicity

We will talk about a very rare problem called vitamin C toxicity. This non-toxic problem will be the focus of this text. Human body needs many vitamins in order to function properly. There are vitamin K, E, D, C, B, and A. Some of these vitamins are water-soluble, like vitamins C and B, while others are fat soluble, like vitamin K, E, D and A. A body needs adequate amounts of vitamin C, which is a very strong antioxidant. Also, collagen, cartilage, tendon and bone located protein, is created with the help of the vitamin C. The immune system is affected by this vitamin along with the wound healing. Risk of cancers is diminished along with symptoms of some diseases by this vitamin. Absorption of the iron by the body is affected by this vitamin as well. Kale, Brussels sprouts, peppers, tomato, broccoli, clementine, mangoes, peaches, grapefruits, strawberries, blackcurrants, guava, orange and lemon are foods that are rich with vitamin C. Scurvy is a condition associated with the lack of this vitamin in the body, while the opposite problem is the vitamin C toxicity.

Toxicity or overdose occurs due to excessive consumption of a vitamin. This is mostly common among those who use supplements on regular basis, in order to prevent the development of some deficiency diseases. The toxicity associated with vitamin C happens vary rarely because it is a water-soluble vitamin. It is very easy for this vitamin to be dissolved and eliminated.


Adult females need 75mg of vitamin C during the day, while adult males need 90mg. Vitamin C is needed for children as well and the daily dose is 15mg for those from 1 to 3 years of age. The capsules used as supplements contain high amount of vitamin C, approximately 100-2000mg per capsule. When this is combined with food rich in vitamin C, it is easy to develop vitamin C toxicity. During the day, no more than 2000mg of vitamin C can be consumed.

The body acidic levels will be increased due to the vitamin C toxicity. Urine will show an increased level of uric acid due to the toxicity. The kidney gathers the vitamin C, which is not removed from the body. Hemochromatosis is a condition that can be created due to the toxicity. The most common symptoms are dental enamel erosion, stomach upset, nausea, skin rash, diarrhea and abdominal cramps.


The problem needs to be treated by a professional, who will probably give certain medications. The elimination of use of the vitamin C supplements and reduction of the intake of food rich in this vitamin are the only treatment options. So be careful when using supplements and remember to discuss with your doctor about it prior to the consumption and seek medical attention if problems occur.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest