Couldn't find what you looking for?


Overview of Mercury Poisoning

Mercury poison is a condition which usually occurs when a person experiences overexposure to mercury and it may trigger numerous other medical conditions. Mercury is a natural substance but is very poisonous and it has no taste, odor nor color. Its vapors can only be seen when observed under a black light. Mercury is used for numerous different purposes such as production of batteries, production of paint and it is also used in thermometers. It is also contained in abundance in the amalgam dental fillings.

The symptoms of mercury poisoning are of systemic nature and they affect the entire human body. Mercury is very harmful because it weakens the immune system which may lead to the development of numerous other diseases and ailments. Sometimes, the treatment of those other diseases gets delayed because it unfortunately does not involve the treatment of the original cause.


A person can be exposed to poisonous mercury in many different ways. The main cause of mercury poisoning usually comes from the amalgam dental fillings. Eating fish that have been excessively exposed to mercury in the environment can also trigger poisoning. Other causes include exposure to mercury in the paint industry.

Mercury vapors are also poisonous and they may affect the person after coming out of a broken thermometer, for example. Certain cosmetics may contain an ingredient called calomel which contains mercury and they also may trigger the poisoning. Some bleaching products may also lead to mercury poisoning characterized by discolored fingernails and a loss of hair.


There are a few symptoms that are characteristic for the mercury poisoning. The most common symptoms include numerous psychological disturbances such as inability to sleep, angry fits, low self esteem, sleepiness, lack of an ability to learn new things, loss of self control and a short term memory loss. Other symptoms include numerous cavity problems.

These symptoms include inflamed mouth, gum ulcerations, loosening of the teeth, gum bleeding and a constant taste of metal in the mouth. Mercury may also affect the digestive tract so diarrhea, abdominal cramps and colon inflammation are quite common symptoms. Cardiovascular problems may be reflected by symptoms such as pressure in the chest, painful chest, changes in the blood pressure and a significantly weakened pulse. Respiratory problems caused by mercury poisoning may include persistent cough, difficult breathing and in some cases even emphysema.

Neurological problems triggered by mercury poisoning include tinnitus, vertigo, headaches and shaking. Mercury poisoning in children may be the cause of numerous different neurological diseases, social problems and auto-immune disorders.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest