The following text will discuss about the fluoride poisoning and causes and symptoms associated. The hydrofluoric acid, or fluoride, prevents tooth decay from occurring and it is a component of toothpastes and water used for teeth protection. Fluoride is also a part of insecticides, chrome-cleaning agents, glass-etching agents, some dietary supplements and vitamins. Toxicity associated with fluoride can occur if it is ingested in large quantities and we will see how this can happen.
There are several forms of fluoride and all of them can lead to toxicity, if ingested in large quantities. This is not as hard as it seems, since many items in the household contain fluoride. A life of a person can be endangered by a dosage from 1 to 10 g of fluoride. Death can occur in a child due to a 15 to 16 mg/kg dosage of fluoride. Also, adults can die due to even smaller, approximately 2 g dosage of fluoride. Accidental ingestion, mostly via insecticides and toothpaste, is the most common way of toxicity. But be assured that by brushing your teeth you are in no threat from fluoride toxicity. Toxicity is associated only with short timed ingestion of fluoride in large amounts. But toothpaste is not dangerous only if ingested in small and normal amounts. Fluoride is a mayor industrial pollutant since it is used in industry in many processes. Toxicity can be caused by inhalation of toxic smoke. Also, itching and discomfort can be caused by a contact between the skin and fluoride.
Gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system are mostly affected by fluoride poisoning. The most common symptoms are shock, spasms, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, cardiac arrest, abdominal pain, arrhythmia, hypoglycemia and hypercalcemia. There are various factors, like ingested fluoride amount, which influence the strength of the symptoms. There are problems, like respiratory paralysis, multi-organ failure, cardiac failure, seizures and even death, which are caused by more serious fluoride toxicity.
We have reached the section when we discuss about the possible treatment options. Seeking help as soon as the problem appears is very important. Upon noticing any of the stated symptoms, medical help must be looked for. Vomiting and diarrhea may lead to dehydration, which requires intravenous fluids. Also, if arrhythmia is present, cardiac monitoring is crucial. If you are having a deficiency of calcium, a calcium chloride intravenous fluids, or IV, will be needed. The severity of the condition will determine the electrolytes and medications used as treatment. As you can see, this is a condition that may lead to some serious problems, which are best being avoided. You can do this by buying toothpaste carefully and avoiding industrial pollutants. Also insecticides should be locked away at a safe location so that children cannot get hold of them.