Couldn't find what you looking for?


When people think of vitamins, they usually think of Vitamin C, one of the most talked about vitamins and one of those essential things when it comes to immune system, antioxidant properties and battle against aging. This vitamin, also known as ascorbic acid, is also very important for proper absorption of iron and it is very beneficial for the skin as well.

Sources of Vitamin C

Vitamin C is naturally occurring in many foods. Oranges are famous for it, as well as other citrus fruits. Berries, apples, peppers, tomatoes, cabbage and many other foods, if taken in sufficient amounts, can provide enough Vitamin C the body needs to function properly and stay healthy. Unfortunately, most people do not include these sources in their regular diet, which is why sometimes it is necessary to take Vitamin C supplements, in form of tablets, capsules, syrups, drops and other products. Many people also take these supplements during fall and winter to prevent seasonal respiratory infections, such as common cold and flu.

While Vitamin C is indeed essential for good health, there are certain guidelines when it comes to the amount of it that should not be exceeded.

Vitamin C overdose

Since human body does not store Vitamin C, the overdose is very rare. The recommended daily dose of Vitamin C for adults is from 60 to 90 milligrams daily. Smokers require more Vitamin C because nicotine and other ingredients of tobacco destroy Vitamin C. For them, it is recommended to take from 110 to 125 milligrams each day. Anything over 500 milligrams is simply a waste because the body eliminates through urine.

Sometimes people wish to protect themselves from diseases and believe they can do so by taking large amounts of Vitamin C supplements, which can lead to overdose. Vitamin C overdose is generally not toxic. When too much Vitamin C is taken, it can lead to temporary problems which usually go away as soon as the dose is brought back to normal.

Symptoms of the overdose

Vomiting, flushes, fatigue, flatulence, back pain, joint pain, cramps and insomnia are also seen in people experiencing Vitamin C overdose. Since Vitamin C increases the absorption of iron, the overdose can lead to iron poisoning.

Vitamin C overdose usually occurs upon consumption of 5 to 25 grams per day, which means 500 to 2500 milligrams per day. The symptoms of the overdose are not permanent and they go away within several days.

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest