The essence of it all
The answer to this almost universal question is that the role of nutrition lies in the fact that food varieties that we consume on a daily basis is what our body craves in order to acquire all the necessary nutrients needed for it to function properly and maintain our overall health on an extremely high level. Nutrition as such is viewed as a mixture of some key and essential needs, i.e. water and food. When it comes to food, it needs to be pointed out that it is comprised of as much as six different classes of nutrients. In more practical terms, a proper and desirable nutrition is the one that is sufficient in proper amounts of not only macronutrients, but micronutrients as well. The former are known to have in them various proteins, carbohydrates and also fats, whereas the latter consist of vitamins, minerals and water. If we break these into even smaller categories, then the following could be said, i.e. written regarding both groups of vital substances:
- Proteins are responsible for muscle building, as well as for forming and maintaining an immune system, which is able to stand up to just about any disease, illness or unwanted temporary condition and infection. In the sense of quantity, this nutrient is certainly regarded as one of the most present ones. Proteins also have the ability to build new tissues, as well as perform cells repairs and form hormones and enzymes known to be vital for our metabolism and proper sexual development, for example.
- Carbohydrates are known as the main sources of energy, and are thus extremely important for our bodies. Their most predominant function is to provide our body with the necessary energy. Furthermore, they are also responsible for the formation of cellular constituent. In case the amount found in the person’s body is insufficient, then this induces the occurrence of ketone production, leading ultimately up to the ailment known also as ketosis. In terms of figures, the recommended amount of carbs that needs to be taken in every day amounts to 60% of the entire quantity of food that one eats.
- Fats are also regarded as additional energy sources and contrary to the opinion of general public, they do not only make one fat, but also perform other quite useful functions such as controlling and making sure that the usage of soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) is proper.
- Vitamins are known to be most important when it comes to controlling and keeping a watchful eye on bodily processes.
- Water is responsible for giving our cells their shape, as well as for playing the role of a medium, thus facilitating numerous processes that go on in the person’s body.
- Minerals make body tissues and are also involved in keeping an eye on and making sure that bodily processes are performed in a most satisfactory manner.