Aside from the fact that it is definitely the most important thing to use preventive medications regularly and properly, there are some tips and suggestions that those who have problems with asthma should be aware of, because some of them might be helpful.
Tips that can help in managing the asthma
- Among the most important things for those who suffer from this problem is the ability to recognize the signs such as wheezing, coughing or shortness of breath. This is important because timely reaction and use of the medication can help in preventing the asthma attack.
- Factors that might trigger either the symptoms or the attack should be eliminated, or at least avoided as much as possible. Among such factors are allergens, irritants such as smoke from the cigarettes, certain medications, cold air, and respiratory infections, whether viral or bacterial in nature.
- It is of essential importance to always have the right medications with you, because only if they are used on regular basis and in the right way, the flare-ups of asthma can be prevented. Besides anti-inflammatory medications, bronchodilators are also very helpful and frequently used.
- The person in question needs to know how to use the inhaler properly, which is even more important in cases of children. Otherwise, they won’t be as beneficial and helpful as they are supposed to be.
- Another very useful tip refers to writing down and keeping the track of all the symptoms (including those that are unusual), their severity, medications that are used, as well as the frequency of their use. If any changes are noticed, it might be wise to consult a doctor about it. That way, the doctor (as well as the patient) will have a better insight in all of this, and it will be easier to conclude whether any adjustments in the therapy are necessary or not.
Several more tips
- There is a wide range of natural remedies that might also help in cases of asthma, and there are also those that improve the immune system, which further makes the body more resistant to viruses and infections.
- The level of humidity also affects those who suffer from asthma, which is why it should be kept in the range between 30 and 50 % at home. Higher humidity might cause asthma attack, which is why humidifiers and dehumidifiers can be of help.
- In case a person owes a pet, it should be kept outside the bedroom.