The gallbladder is an organ in the human beings situated below the liver, and it stores the bile created in this organ. When the body needs the bile, the gallbladder pushes it through the duct into the small intestine to assist in the digestion of the foods. However, sometimes gallstones form inside the gallbladder. These gallstones are pebble-like substances formed when the excess cholesterol, bile salts and bilirubin harden.
Gallstones can be of two types: cholesterols stones and pigment stones. While cholesterols stones are made of cholesterol and are green or yellow in color, the pigment stones are smaller stones made of bilirubin and they are dark in color.
Natural treatment of gallstones
It is believed that many diseases caused by unhealthy diet can be cured once the person starts to consume healthy foods. For example, the kidney stones can be treated with a lot of water and cranberries, while the gout can be cured with a neutralized diet. When the gallstones are in the question, there is a specific diet that can successfully treat this condition, and people suffering from it do not have to remove the gallstones surgically.
Gallstones diet is important for those who want to prevent the occurrence of gallstones within the gallbladder, but also for those who already have them and want to get rid of them. As we have already said, the gallstones are made of cholesterol and fats which are in the bile. Therefore, the foods that contain fats, as well as cholesterol, should be excluded from the diet. Processed food should not be consumed either. It is recommended that only 30 grams of fat should be consumed in the beginning of the treatment of gallstones.
- At least 5 raw fruits and vegetables should be eaten a day, since they contain high amounts of water-soluble fiber, which is powerful in flushing the body.
- White bread should be avoided as much as possible, while cereals with minimum 5 grams of fiber should be eaten.
- Dairy products should not be included in the diet, and the people who suffer from gallstones should avoid consuming milk, sour cream and cheese products.
- The gallstone diet should include meat, especially poultry, beef and lean pork, whereas the fatty meats should not be consumed.
- Sherbet and fruit ice tea, as well as non-fat yogurt and plenty of water, are also advisable when the gallbladder is affected by the gallstones.